This chapter gives an overview of networking and Java resources
for network applications.
- Network Overview -
discusses the layered architecture of networks
- Internet Basics
- shows how packets travel from node to node until reaching their
- IP - Datagrams
- the low level data packets into which messages are broken up.
- the higher level networking layers that build
packets back into their original messages.
- Ports - provide access
points provided by operating systems that allow programs to communicate
over the network with programs running on those platforms.
- Java Networking
- classes, methods, & techniques in Java for using the network.
- URL - class that represents
an internet web address.
- Read file from
a URL - obtain a stream to read a file via the URL.
- InetAddress -
class that represents an IP address and also provides several
static methods for obtaining IP & hostname info.
- Sockets - connections
programs make to communicate with other programs on the network
via the internet protocols.
- network program architecture in which a server program provides
data, files, etc. to client programs running on other computers
on the network.
- RMI - a brief overview
Latest update: Dec. 8, 2004